The day-to-day work of the Board of Deputies is carried out by a professional team of staff led by Chief Executive Gillian Merron.
Gillian MerronChief Executive
Gillian Merron joined the Board of Deputies in July 2014 as Chief Executive.
Gillian was the Member of Parliament for Lincoln from 1997 to 2010.
Experienced at the heart of Government, Gillian served as a Minister at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Department for International Development, Cabinet Office, Transport, as Minister of State for Public Health and as a senior Government whip. She also worked in support of the Holocaust Education Trust and Labour Friends of Israel. Before being elected to Parliament, Gillian had careers in local government and as a senior trade union official in the East Midlands.
Gillian has run her own business, advising and advocating on public health across the EU. She was also Chair of a national consumer body and a volunteer, helping disadvantaged women into work.
Born in Ilford, Gillian studied at Lancaster University. She has served
on the Board of Liberal Judaism and remains an active member of Lincoln’s small but thriving Jewish community.
Marius BischoffInternational Relations Officer
Marius Bischoff deals with the following areas:
- Israel policy issues
- Raising issues of concern at the Foreign & Commonwealth Office
- Managing relations with diplomatic missions in London
- First point of contact for the Board of Deputies’ international partners including AJC, European Jewish Congress & World Jewish Congress
- Advocacy for post-Holocaust restitution, religious freedoms and counter-extremisim on an international level
Bernice BlackAdministration Manager
Bernice Black deals with
- All matters relating to new and current Deputies
- Overseeing the procedures relating to elections
- Organising Board Meetings and the Regional Weekend
- First point of contact for Annual Dinner
- HR for the organisation
- Correspondence/queries for the President and the CEO
Tilla CrowneOffice Administrator
Jackie EmeryEducation Projects Administrator
Jackie Emery is the administrator for the following areas:
- Education Projects, including the Board of Deputies’ Jewish Living Tours, School Assemblies and Exhibitions Pikuach, the Jewish Schools Inspection Service The Board of Deputies Community & Education Division
- Editor of Board of Deputies’ educational publications, most recently JUDAISM GCSE RELIGIOUS STUDIES – THE DEFINITIVE RESOURCE by Clive Lawton.
Daniel EltonGovernment Affairs Officer
Steven JaffeGrassroots and Advocacy Consultant
Gregory LyonsDirector of Finance and Operations
Greg joined the team at the Board of Deputies in 2017 as Director of Finance and Operations. He is a chartered accountant and has worked in Finance, Banking, Management Consulting and Outsourcing. Greg is an active member of his local synagogue Kehilla Netzach Yisroel in Edgware, London. His responsibilities include:
- Finance and Accounting
- Income Generation
- Operations & administration
Jeffrey LeaderDirector, Pikuach
Jeffrey Leader is Director of Pikuach.
Pikuach is the only inspection service that is accredited by the Department for Education (DfE) to undertake inspections at Jewish schools, and as a result Pikuach enjoys a good working relationship and contacts with both the Department for Education and Ofsted.
Pikuach currently has 27 inspectors all of whom have held or currently hold senior positions in the Anglo-Jewish day school system.
Ketty OzerFinance administrator
Sara PerlmutterEducation Development Manager
Sara Perlmutter is responsible for overseeing the design and implementation of the educational projects of the Board of Deputies including the Jewish Living Experience exhibition and education related publications.
Philip RosenbergDirector of Public Affairs
Philip Rosenberg deals with the following areas:
- Policy formation and strategy
- Strategic relationships
- High level political advocacy
- Public affairs communications
Simon RoundCommunications Officer
Simon Round deals with the following areas:
- Press releases and statements
- Website management
- Social media communications
- The Community Briefing
Joel SalmonParliamentary Officer
Joel Salmon deals with the following areas:
- Political and Parliamentary Engagement.
- Secretariat to the All Party Parliamentary Group on British Jews
- Students and Youth
- Domestic Antisemitism and Extremism
Anthony SilkoffInterfaith & Social Action Officer
Anthony Silkoff deals with the following areas:
- Relationships with stakeholders from other religious communities
- Social action programmes
- Representing the Jewish community at interfaith events
- Israel issues in other faith communities
Sandra TeacherEducation Consultant
Sandra Teacher deals with following areas:
- Education Policy – dealing with Dfe and Ofsted
- Training sessions eg: New Inspection arrangements; How to promote Fundamental British Values
- The Religious Education Council and any matters relating to Religious Education including RS GCSE and working with Ofqual and exam boards.
- Supports the work of ‘ Teaching Judaism’ to other non Jewish groups including training sessions and the Jewish Living Experience and Seeing Jewish Life tours.
Dawn WatermanEducation Policy Officer
Dawn Waterman deals with the following areas:
- Liaising with Government departments including the Department for Education, Department for Communities & Local Government, Department for Work & Pensions and others to ensure implementation of legislation does not have an averse effect on the Jewish community.
- Equality issues including workplace issues.
- Religious freedoms in the UK including Brit Milah (circumcision) and Shechita (kosher slaughter).